Saturday, June 12, 2010

A New Direction

I find myself viewing the publishing landscape and finding a hard truth staring right back at me, I still want to be a published author, yet, the print contracts seem to be drying up and even when you do get one you have to do all the marketing work.

Now don't get me wrong, there is something invariably inviting about the smell of coffee and books. And I think there will always be books to hold. But there is nothing wrong with an e-book for which you get a huge royalty just to be listed on Amazon through Kindle. And self-publishing isn't something that should be entered into lightly. It takes a certain kind of spirit to do it and want it that way--I'm not saying I don't want a print contract, I think every writer does, it's just that I do better this way. On the phone, at the desk, running things my way.

I hate sharing, I hate being told what to do, and I feel like if I can do independent film (the scripts are much better than the overall product sometimes, but that's true with any venture), I can do publishing which I'm much more comfortable doing. Writing may be art, but publishing is a business and I have a plan and all this standing around and wringing of hands at age 35 (although youngsters, as my dad told me recently, daughter 'o mine you ARE young), when things are moving so fast is for the birds.

I think everyone has a little bit of a Maverick in them. The first title from my digital imprint available on Amazon's Kindle in every format available I believe, should I find out differently you'll be the first to hear about it, is ANOTHER WAY TO DIE. It will be priced at $.99.

More on Another Way To Die in tomorrow's post for more exciting details for launch party and interview with the author, moi. Have a great day and as my friend author, artist, and photographer Elise VanCise would say, Happy Scribbles. Or as Pam, another friend/author/painter/photographer/filmmaker would say, grrr, leave me alone:-).

Follow me, Amy McCorkle on Twitter at @WhenDovesCryAA Pamela at @PamelaTurner and Elise at @EliseVanCise. Some others you may want to check out are @RoseWade and my partner in crime Missy Goodman @goodleigh2275.

No comments:

Post a Comment