Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Ignorance And Mistreatment

Hi there, it's me again. I'm back for my daily rant. And today I'm spewing my well earned venom on the American public.

I am not a leech. I do not mooch off the government. I am not spending 'your' tax dollars. The Disability check I receive is based soley upon what I, let me repeat that, what I paid into the system. Now, that check is something of a joke, but it's better than nothing and it's based on dollars I paid into the system.

I do not drink alcohol. I do not smoke cigarettes of any kind. Not that I care if you do. That's your business, not mine. And I do not use illegal drugs nor do I abuse prescription drugs. I pay my bills. I live on my own (well, with a roomie), and I don't bother anybody. So when I hear some stupid, ignorant, asinine human being going off about how people with mental illnesses are just lazy assholes who are spending their hard earned tax dollars I want to scream.

I work hard at what I do. I'm a writer, a novelist, and an independent filmmaker. I've had books published short films made some by me. Maybe I'm not rich and famous but damn it I'm a productive member of society and I'm sick of being mistreated because when people hear the words bipolar disorder they see a catching disease that they neither understand nor seem to want to understand. And as a result they say stupid, ignorant, hurtful things which wound and scar people with their capriciousness.

Hey, I'm all for taking the tools and building a life for yourself but you have to be given the tools for crying out loud. And a little compassion goes a long fucking way people. I didn't ask for this diagnosis. I was just blessed with it. So try today and show someone whom you might otherwise show a bitter caustic attitude towards today, and give them a few encouraging words. Believe me on days like today they can go a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment